My home and garden:

Welcome to my blog. I hope you get plenty of enjoyment and inspiration out of it. My style is a well-sifted mix of vintage, classic, country, and a little shabby chic, combined with an obsession with storage and organisation. I have based my styling decisions on the era and feel of my little cottage house - it is about to celebrate it's 100th year anniversary, barely 140m2 on a steep little quarter-acre block looking out to the Paremata inlet, marina, and up to the hills of Whitirea Park.

Wednesday 14 June 2017

Updated Shady Garden

It's been a couple of years since I first showed you the landscaping of our shady south facing garden and spa area. I thought you might like to see some more recent photos of the garden, taking during the summer 2016.

Shady garden


Some parts are going great guns, and others have struggled. Most notably was the Magnolia Genie trees. The first one, at the top of the slope, is thriving and is now 3m tall. The middle one completely died (2m from the first) and the bottom one has really struggled. We decided the terrible soil was responsible, so dug a 50cm deep trench, 30cm wide and about 4m long through this area. This was filled with better soil, compost and potting mix. The bottom one hasn't recovered yet, but hopefully once we hit spring will take off. The middle one is completely gone.

I put in some cuttings of the Hydrangea Merville Sanguine, which have hardly done anything besides produce 2 or 3 huge blooms and that's it. The one I bought has done so much better. A lesson there?

I loved the Pieris that I had, though 2 of the 3 also died! I blame the drainage again, so will get some more once they come back into stock and hopefully this time they will do better.

I've added several of the stunning Hydrangea Limelight that you can see in the pictures. They are amazing! They love the sun, unlike the Hydrangea Bridal Bouquet which gets horribly sunburned, even in this south facing garden.

The Japanese Anemones are a bit inconsistent. I have them trying to take over some areas, and then really struggling to get going in others. I plan for them to run along the back of the garden, where it's very dry under the eves.

I've got several different Hellebores now: White Magic which isn't living up to expectations and a gorgeous red which I can't remember right now.

And finally we have added a little red weeping maple under the lounge window. The first time I've ever had a maple. It must be a sheltered spot if that one lasts!

It's nearly time to trim back all the hydrangeas and anemones and tuck things up for the winter now, so goodnight until spring!

Shady garden

Shady garden

No comments:

Post a Comment